Election Results Explained
- The first set of unofficial election night results will appear shortly after 8 p.m., September 14, 2021. They will include mail ballots received before Election Day, including polls ballots from early voting between Sept. 11 - 13. They will also include votes for qualified write-in candidates.
- After the first unofficial report, election night updates will add only ballots cast at polls on Election Day. There will be no more updates to mail ballots and write-in candidates on election night.
- Periodic updates will continue throughout election night until all polls ballots are reported. The next unofficial results update will be posted on Thursday, Sept. 16 after 5 p.m. Additional updates may occur at the discretion of the Registrar of Voters.
- After election night, voter turnout percentage will increase as timely and validly cast ballots, including mail and provisional ballots, are added into the count.
- Mail ballots postmarked on Election Day and received by the Registrar’s office by Sept. 21 will be considered timely cast.
- All results are unofficial until completion of the official canvass of the election on October 14, 2021.
- Follow us on Twitter @sdvote for updates on election results reporting.