Vote By Mail
Permanent Mail Ballot
- Any voter may receive a mail ballot for any election. To apply for a permanent mail ballot, sign up here:
- Your voting materials will be automatically mailed to you before each election
- If you decide to return to the polls to vote, you may change your mail ballot status with this form »
Have questions? Call (858) 565-5800 or email us ROVMail@sdcounty.ca.gov
Temporary Mail Ballot
- Are you unable to make it to the polls on Election Day, but
usually like to vote in person at the poll?
- You can apply for a one-time mail ballot 60 to 7 days before the next Election Day
- Temporary Mail Ballot Application »
- We recommend you apply at least 30 days before the
next election to make sure you can receive and return your ballot in
- You may also call (858) 565-5800 to request a temporary mail ballot
- You can find a mail
ballot application on the back cover of your Sample Ballot and Voter
Information Pamphlet, or you may write to us and include:
- your name in print letters
- your home address
- your mailing address if different from your home address
- name and date of the election
- and your signature
- Mail or fax your application for a
- Registrar of Voters, P.O. Box 85520, San Diego, CA 92186-5520
- Fax: 858-505-7294
IMPORTANT STEPS WHEN VOTING YOUR MAIL BALLOT
- You will receive your mail ballot between 29 and 7 days before Election Day
- Follow instructions for marking (voting) on your mail ballot
- Place marked (voted) ballot in official return envelope and seal it
- SIGN and DATE outside of envelope and use proper postage
- If you mailed your ballot and forgot to sign the outside of the envelope, please use this form to send your signature to us
You must SIGN AND DATE the envelope or this form, so your ballot can be counted!
Returning Your Mail Ballot
You can mail your ballot to the Registrar of Voters address above or you may drop it off:
- At one of the designated mail ballot drop-off locations
throughout the county. Find one near you »
- At the Registrar of Voters office anytime Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- On Election Day, at any poll, between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Or, if you are away from San Diego County you
may return your mail ballot at any poll, drop off location or voting
center throughout the State of California
- Please note the elections officials in the other county have up to eight days to forward your ballot to us
- If you mail your ballot it must be postmarked on or before Election Day and we must receive it no later than the Friday after Election Day
If you need language assistance in Chinese, Filipino, Spanish or Vietnamese, please contact us at 858-565-5800.
Do you need a second mail ballot?
If you need a second mail ballot because you damaged, lost or made a mistake on your first mail ballot, call (858) 565-5800.
Track Your Mail Ballot
You can confirm that your mail ballot was received by the Registrar of Voters by filling out this form »